Thursday, February 14, 2013

Veggie buns - snack

I made this buns last night because the cabbage and Chinese chive have been in the fridge for almost over a week now. I have always made this with pork however Annie showed me how to make vegetarian version with firm tofu. Thank you Annie! This time I didn't put white pepper because Myrna can't eat pepper. Any kind of spice will make her have acid reflex specially black and white peppers.

It's about 80 calories each because I pan fry them like 水煎包 style. You can steam them too but I don't have steamer. Steaming them I think will be like 71 calories. They didn't turned out very pretty but the flavor tuned out okay.

Annie, I will bring you some on Saturday.
0) preheat oven at 200f when reached the temperature turn oven off. mix 1-1/2 cup of warm water with 1 teaspoon of sugar and 2 teaspoon of yeast. Mix well with 3 -1/2 cup of all purpose flour to form dough. Cover the bowl and put it in the warm oven so it can raise.
1) chop the cabbage and put 2 teaspoons of salt and let e water come out
2) put dry shiitake mash room in water to rehydrate
3) cut one block of firm or extra firm tofu in one inch slices and wrap them in paper tower and squeeze out extra moisture
4) chop some Chinese chives, shred some carrots, chop some green onions, chop the shiitake mushrooms. Squeeze out the water from the cabbage and add it into the mix. Before adding tofu season it with soy sauce (2 tablespoon) and sesame sauce (one tablespoon). Break the tofu with your hands and add to the mix. Add 2 or 3 cloves of garlic graded finely. Add 2 eggs and mix well.
6) cut th dough in 4 sections and make each section 10 pieces of about 20-24 g each. You will end up with 40 similar size buns. Roll the bun skin like you would making dumpling skins then put a big spoonful of filling.
7) heat up the pan brush with some oil and put the buns in it in medium heat. After the bottom is golden brown add about 1/3 cup of water and cover. The buns will be ready when the there is no more water

Once it's cooled I put them in a plastic container wrapped in paper towel.

I gave 2 to Fernando earlier, but I think I'm going to heat up one now for myself!

1 comment:

  1. That looks sooooo good.... and no 'belly buttons' =) Thanks Amanda I look forward to these veggie tofu buns! And who knows I might attempt to recreate these one of these weekends too. They're soooo yummy.

    ReplyDelete