Saturday, February 16, 2013

Taiwanese train lunchbox classic: Taiwanese pork chop simplified

When I was a child, our family rarely eats out and because my mom and dad and both my grandparents came to Taiwan after 1949 the Chinese civil war, at home we didn't eat much Taiwanese food but rather Chinese food. For me Taiwanese food (perhaps because I don't eat if often) has a mysterious and unexplainable attraction.
I remember in summer time sometimes we would take the train to Kaohsiung to visit my aunts and uncles from my day's side of family and one of the most exciting part of the experience is the train bento or lunch box. It usually has a pork chop, egg, some different veggies and rice. The pork chop is the star of the show, very flavorful and juicy. I tweak the recipe a bit to make it a quick meal. You can literary make this dish while you cook the rice. So in 20 min you can have a home made meal ready for your family

1) in the blender put a piece of ginger, salt, 2 cloves of garlic, some oil, some corn starch, soy sauce, rice wine, 1 green onion, white pepper, 5 spice powder, sugar. Blend until smooth

2) dry the pork chops and cut the white part so when you cook it, it will stay flat and not curl up

3) use a meat mallet pound the meat until thin like scaloppine

4) put meat in an deep dish or plastic bag and add in the marinade. Because the meat is thin it will take only a few minutes to marinade

5) while its marinating put some oil in pan or cast iron grill if you don't like frying food. If you fry then coat the meat in sweet potato starch or yam starch available in Asian grocery store. I experiment with flour and/or rice flour and its not as good as 地瓜粉. If you want to grill don't coat it with anything just put on hot grill. It only take about 3 min total because the meat is pounded thin

Remove any excess oil with paper tower and add some broccoli to the pan and 1/2 cup of water then cover. Let steam cook the broccoli in 2 min. Serve with lurofan and enjoy this classic Taiwanese lunchbox delight












3 comments:

  1. Thanks Amanda for showing me the trick of cutting the pork around the side to prevent curling up. Now I can make a flat pork chop!

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol...Jerel is regretting not inviting himself for dinner last night now. That looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will make for jerel next time he comes :)

    ReplyDelete