Thursday, February 14, 2013

2/14 transforming leftover

Have you ever recycle the leftover and transform it into a brand new dish? Part of the goal of pantry ninja is to reduce food waste. I love to use creativity and imagination to give leftover food a makeover.

Since we cooked 2 huge pork tenderloins 2 days ago we still have about 7 oz left today so I decided to use them in Vietnamese spring roll. I had gone through a face where I was crazy about the Vietnamese spring rolls and I would eat them everyday. I would stuff them with whatever veggie or meat that I may have in the fridge. I make a quick peanut sauce to go with it. Since there is no cooking involve this is perfect snack that can be done in a few minutes.

Depending what you put in it the calories would vary but for 3.4 oz of pork in 2 spring rolls it came out to 369 calories ; 24 g of carb and 32 g of protein. Perfect low carb dish!

Here is what I did
1) sliced the pork thin and put in the microwave for 30 sec to warm it up
2) put some warm water from the faucet in a deep container. I use a small roasting pan but you can use a deep dish or conning ware or cake mold
3) pass the Vietnamese rice paper quickly in the water. Do not soak. Just rice it through it. When you take the paper out it should still fill hard and rigid. It will slowly soften as you put the filling in and roll. If you soak it at this point your paper will be too humid and break.
4) put sliced pork in it then add sliced cucumber, julienne carrots, mint leaves, cilantro,clover sprouts, spinach and avocados. This step you could use basil or any aromatic fresh herb, parsley, Japanese mint,other veggies like spring mix(nothing watery) you can put cooked garbanzo beans, soybeans, whatever you want.
5) wrap it as you would a burrito. The paper skin should be somewhat sticky and elastic. Wrap them as tight as possible

For T he sauce I use the following ( notice that you don't need to measure the measurement is so that you know the rough proportions )
2 tablespoon of peanut
1 tablespoon of matchup
1 dash of fish sauce
1 teaspoon of soy sauce
1 teaspoon of sesame sauce
1 dash of any kind of Vietnamese or Asian spicy hot sauce











1 comment:

  1. I love Vietnamese spring rolls and actually still have some rice papers hanging about in the pantry too! This is a great idea to just put whatever veggies/etc into it. I've always tried to make it the typical way adding in vermicelli noodles and that adds to the carbs + additional cooking time. I'll give this a try soon. =)

    ReplyDelete