Thursday, February 14, 2013

2/14 valentine's breakfast

Hi all, happy valentines day!

Fernando and I don't celebrate valentines day. It's often crowded in the restaurants so we don't ever go out to eat this day. Gift giving is also not our love language so valentines day is just a regular day for us :) Fernando usually eats oatmeal for breakfast and I usually have my kale smoothly ( which I still can't find anybody else who likes it except me, Myrna says only if for sure drinking kale smoothly will add 20 years of quality healthy life she will consider drinking it everyday ouch!)

I have decided to make some quick pancakes for every one. In this puertorican household they really love anything with coconut so I made coconut pancakes. It was a hit. I served it with some unsweet coconut flakes, maple syrup, organic blueberry and organic strawberry that we have in the refrigerator. I also included a piece of chicken apple sausage from Costco. Myrna brought 3 packs and I'm trying very hard to use them up ( part of my pantry ninja efforts)

ingredients:
1/3 cup of  Coconut flour This is not something that I would normally buy or stock but we had a bag so I'm determine to finish it. It does give the pancake strong coconut flavor
1 cup of whole wheat flour
1 teaspoond of baking soda
2 teaspoon of baking powder
2 eggs
2 tablespoon of coconut oil
2 cups of milk
2 tablespoon of lemon juice or vinegar

Instructions
1) put the lemon juice or vinegar in the milk and let it sit for 5 min. I often use this instead of buttermilk which I never have it handy. But we always have milk! So any recipe that calls for buttermilk I just use this homemade substitute
2) melt the 2 tablespoon of unrefined coconut in microwave
3) mix everything in the blender!
4) use 1/4 cup of batter for each pancake. Slide the stick of the butter on the pan and add the mix when it starts to bubble then flip it for another minute or so or until golden brown.

I use coconut oil a lot in baking to replace canola oil because the process of vegetable oil refinement uses a lot of chemicals. The one I like is the big jar from Costco. I think coconut oil is good for our health.
This photo was taken last time when I try to used up egg whites and pancake mix we had at hand
167 calories for each pancake 400+ calories for just breakfast. Need to head to gym now lol!




No comments:

Post a Comment