Sunday, February 17, 2013

First day of my sort-of low carb diet

I consider it's sort of low carb diet, because by all means I'm eating carbs specially vegetables, and some low glycemic fruits. what I'm not eating in the next 2 weeks is white rice or brown rice, corn, starchy veggies like potatoes, taro, yam etc. I'm also not eating any product made with white or even whole wheat flour, no pasta of any sort. The purpose of this food experiment is to see if I those carbs are causing secretion of extra insulin which prevents fat loss. I'm also not eating any process food and sugar of any kind( see my article about " why e get fat")

We all have our weakness when it comes to food, some of us may like sweets or bread or pasta, and when we are in front of our favorite food it's so hard to stop or exert any kind of self control. My weakness is rice :) I'm lucky that I never crave for sweets or any other starch the way I crave for rice.

My new diet consist mainly of protein, green veggies, nuts, some fruits, whole fat yogurt, squash, cheese, eggs.

In the morning I made 3 egg (1 whole egg with 2 egg white) omelet with nopal into, green bell pepper, onion and spinach for Fernando and I. We also had coffee and half of an red delicious. I think going forward I will make the omelet with whole egg and add some cheddar cheese in addition to the veggies. I will also replace apple with grapefruit or strawberries.

We had breakfast at 8-8:30 am. This breakfast kept me full until about 11:30 am. I felt hungry so I ate a handful of walnuts. That was 148 calories! I don't know who claimed that fats from nuts keep you feeling full, that was not the case with me. By 12 noon I was starving again. This time I fixed some lunch. I ate left over pork chop (3oz) and 2 cups of sauté kale. I think I may need more protein or add portion of squash or something because I was hungry again at 1:30-2 pm. I foraged in the kitchen and drank 3/4 cup of unsweet almond milk with unsweet cocoa(just 45 cal) I was feeling pretty tired and just over all a sense of dissatisfaction. It gave me a headache and I felt sleepy. At 3 pm I ate 1/2 of a small grapefruit and took a nap. I only sleep 6 hrs last night and may be my headache was due to the lack of sleep. I woke up at 6 feeling hungry and so I got up and made Chinese American style chicken (4 oz) and 1 cup of bake butternut squash and 1 cup of broccoli. Feel so much better now

I think tomorrow I will pair my protein with squash. I think it makes me feel better and more satisfied. I'm thinking about making spaghetti squash and pair that with meatballs. Hopefully I was just tired for lack of sleep and not having a rice withdraw lol.

Observation
1) fat from olive oil, butter, nuts and avocado don't keep me full. Need to eat those high cal food with care
2) I ate about 90 g carb, 94 g of protein and 46 g of fat but so far only 1079 cal. After my work out I probably will eat some yogurt to complete 1200 cal at least. But I'm really not hungry after dinner. I think I need to make lunch portion bigger next time.


3 comments:

  1. Hmm, if I eat low carb or low protein I get hungry very easily. I need both! But everyone processes differently.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know how much you love to eat pasta and rice...(me too!) so ganbatte!

    Question: Have you tried substituting pasta with spaghetti squash before? It's suppose to be an easy low-carb but nutritious substitute but I've actually never had it before. I also heard people subbing barley or rolled oats instead of rice before in a meal.

    I'm probably going to pick up a spaghetti squash this week to finish up the remaining veg-ragu sauce I made from last week instead of cooking more pasta. I'll update on how it turns out. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made spaghetti squash today. They are a bit strange. I'm not sure how it would be paired with pasta. I think it's a bit soggy. May be due to prolong cooking. But I will try again tomorrow

      Delete