Thursday, February 21, 2013

Low carb cauliflower mash with braised chicken in mushroom sauce

Last few days I had made a discovery that cauliflower is a great substitute for starch carb. It keeps me full and satisfy for many hours. It has a nice texture and is versatile. I heard since its in the same family than broccoli it is also has cancer fighting properties.

I roasted cauliflower with garlic I flushed olive oil and aged Romano cheese last couple of days and today I made it into a muck mash potato sort of thing. We all liked it. I paired with some chicken thigh that we had in the freezer (organic but from Costco, Myrna and I have reached an agreement not to buy anymore of those chicken once we finish the current stash and only buy pasture cage free level 4 chicken from wholefood or local farmers market) that I have trying to tackle as part of my pantry ninja efforts

To make the cauliflower mash
1) cut up one head of cauliflower into florets also get rid of the tough outer skin but chop the steam into similar size pieces. Cook cauliflower in the rice cooker with one cup of water outside 外鍋. If u don't have rice cooker seam it or cook it in water until soft. Steaming I think perserve more nutrients

2) pat dry the cauliflower with paper towel and put it inside food processor. Add about 1.5-2 oz of Parmesan or aged Romano cheese and 1 table spoon of cream cheese. Add some salt and pepper to season. I had some salty broth that I made while poaching chicken yesterday so I used that. Blend it until it has appearance of mash potato. Need to eat hot, if it is cool, put it in the microwave for a min or 2

To make the braised chicken

I used skinless, boneless chicken but I'm sure it will taste 100times better if I use the kind with skin and bones( but I need to use what I already have)

Pat dry the chicken and season. I use Costco's non salt seasoning plus salt

Put 1 tablespoon of olive oil and 1 tablespoon of ghee or butter in a stainless heavy button pan. When oil is hot put the chicken in it. Cover. Cook in medium high for 3 -4 min. It should be browned. Flip it and cook for another 3 minutes

Take out the chicken add 1 tablespoon of ghee or butter, put in the 1lb of mushroom and sauté for 3 minutes. Add one sliced onion and 3 sliced cloves of garlic and stir it for 3 minutes. Scrapping the button of the pan.

Out chicken back in and add about one cup of chicken broth, 2 tablespoon of tomato paste and 2 steams of fresh rosemary. After it boils turn it into simmer and simmer for 10 minutes covered. Flip chicken every so often

after 10 minutes it will look like this

Take out the the chicken and reduce the sauce but turn the heat all the way up. When it is reduced you can add 1 tablespoon of cream to finish the sauce,

with heavy cream:

Garnish with fresh parsley.

I love this new diet, food taste so much better when you can use a bit of cream and butter lol. Its great to know dietary fat even saturated is okay as long as over all calories is still in check and there is no starchy carbs. Compare this diet to low fat high carb, i think this version allows at lot more creativity for the cook because of the cut of meat i can use.

No comments:

Post a Comment