Sunday, February 24, 2013

Beet and grapefruit salad

There is nothing more refreshing then a fresh beet/grapefruit salad in the winter. Beets are plentiful in the winter so is e grapefruit. They go together very well, the sweetness in the beets is balanced with the tangyness of the grapefruit I got 3 kinds of beets (purple, golden and a white one with pretty red swirls pattern inside) and a bunch of radish from the local farmers market on Saturday. I was able to assemble the salad in 20 minutes because I had roasted them the day before. To roast them just wrap them in parchment paper and them wrap that in aluminum foil (don't wrap any food directly with aluminum foil because aluminum is linked to risk of Alzheimer's disease.) put it in a 400 degree oven. If the beets are small they should cook in 25 min. If its medium size it may take 40 minutes. Try not to over cook them, it should be soft with slight bite to it and not mushy. Remove the skin after the beets are cooked and cooled. Then store. You can roasted all of the beets and you will have them for salad through out the week. Beet salad looks really pretty with rainbow colors and can be great serve to guests. I think it could be an elegant first course for Sunday brunch

1) put some spinach or spring mix in the plates ( this will make 5-6 servings)

2) slice about 6 small beets 1/4 inch thickness of different colors (today I only had purple and white left because we ate all the golden ones yesterday) evenly distribute it to the plates

3) slice one avocado and evenly distribute to all the plates

4) slice 4 or 5 radishes and distribute to all the plates

5)peel the 2 grapefruit and cut out the flesh and distribute the, to the plates. Squeeze all the remaining juice out of the grapefruit for the dressing. You should end up with about 1/3 cup of juice

6) add to the grapefruit juice 2 table of olive oil, 1 teaspoon of mustard and 1 tablespoon of shallots, salt and pepper. Spoon 1 tablespoon of dressing in each plate.

This recipe will serve 6 people for appetizer size salad. It has 128 calories, 12 g of carbs, 9 g of fat, 2 g of protein, 8 g of sugar.

6 comments:

  1. I can vouch that it is very delicious! =9

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got more beets today an grapefruits. Do you think I can make ahead several servings of dressing and just store them in the fridge?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure I do that all the time. I have a lot of grapefruit I can give to you. May be I will drop by on Wednesday. U can share them with Rachel ;)

      Delete
    2. Hehe thanks! I got these two huge grapefruits today so I'll also need to finish them up first. Are you going to the farmers market this Wednesday? If you're going to be there after 6 then I can join you. Might be good to go earlier in the afternoon though before all the good stuff runs out. =)

      Delete
    3. I probably will go early like around 3 pm. But if I find some goodies I will let you know and we can meet there next week. The truth is our fridge is pretty packed so I don't really need anything in particular just want to check it out!

      Delete